Saturday, February 13, 2010

Baby Banshee

At some point in everyone's life their parent says, "Just wait until you have kids...Payback's a comin'." Well, apparently I didn't understand the breadth of this statement.

I am convinced that I currently have the noisiest baby on the face of the planet. At least every hour, he takes a deep breath, opens his jaws as WIDE as he can, and lets out this screech that is louder than a chainsaw but only 10 or 20 decibles quieter than a jet plane.

SEVERAL other people have proceeded to tell me how CUTE this behavior is. UGH! Yes, he is a very adorable little critter. And, (again) YES, he has beautiful dimples and crystal blue eyes. HOWEVER, he could WAKE THE DEAD. I just spent over an hour listening to him SCREAM his head off. I seriously think I saw his head spin completely around on his neck! I thought about grabbing a cross and some Holy water, just in case.

Most of the time, he just enjoys hearing the sound of his shrill little (or not so little) voice. But tonight, he is sick. He doesn't feel well, and his tiny little button of a nose is stuffy. So, he decided that instead of sniffling or whining that he would put his VOICE to work.

I have NO idea how something SO loud can come out of something so tiny. And, how on God's green Earth does something SO cute make such an atrocious sound? I mean, I'm pretty sure my dogs were not barking at a neighbor walking or at a passing train...but at my baby. I think my outdoor critters would hold their ears if they could. My outdoor critters are wishing my indoor critters to be quiet. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

Well, he is asleep now. He let Keener put him down...FINALLY (which made me feel like crap for a minute...not too long, because he IS actually sleeping). I looked in on him a minute ago, and he is angelic. His face was relaxed, palms open, and breath shallow and soft.

I suppose one day I will be wishing for the banshee to return, to no avail. For now, I am enjoying the pitter patter of not feet...but my keyboard....ahhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

count traffic